Welcome to Curriculum & Instruction
Welcome to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction in the Reich College of Education! We are confident that your desire to become a teacher has led you to Appalachian. The department, which is one of the largest on campus, is home to 35 faculty and offers four undergraduate and four graduate programs. We offer our programs on ASU's main campus and through Distance Education. All eight programs are fully accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Complete information about admissions and requirements for each program can be found in either the Undergraduate or Graduate Bulletin. If you have specific questions about programs, or if you are interested in sitting in on our classes, contact the department chair and/or the appropriate program coordinator to make arrangements.
- Congratulations to Drs. Lisa Poling and Tracy Smith for being identified by students as "Most Helpful Faculty and Staff 2014".
- Mr. Jeff Goodman is featured on the hompage of the College STAR.
- Dr. Rachel Wilson has an article published online in the International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. You can read her article here.
- Dr. Tracy Goodson-Espy has an article publsihed in the AHCI journal Constructivist Foundations. You can view the article here.
- Dr. Lisa Poling became a Learning Partner for the Alternative Service Experience Program. Read more here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Leslie Bradbury on her ground-breaking article in The Association for Science Teacher Education titled "Linking Science and Language Arts: A Review of the Literature Which Compares Integrated Versus Non-intigrated Approaches". Read her article here.
- Jeff Goodman discusses "Human Wonder Research: Teaching for Attention and Engagement".
- C&I has multiple Faculty Award recipients. See them here.
- Jeff Goodman named as Faculty of Distinction. See the story here.
- Dr. Allen Bryant initiates partnership with Cherokee Central Schools [more]
- Drs. Tracy Smith and Kenneth McEwin have just completed a video series based on their book, The Legacy of Middle School Leaders: In Their Own Words. The Association for Middle Level Education is featuring the 12 short videos on
their YouTube channel [more]