Welcome to Curriculum & Instruction
Welcome to the Department of Curriculum and Instruction in the Reich College of Education! We are confident that your desire to become a teacher has led you to Appalachian. The department, which is one of the largest on campus, is home to 35 faculty and offers four undergraduate and four graduate programs. We offer our programs on ASU's main campus and through Distance Education. All eight programs are fully accredited by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Complete information about admissions and requirements for each program can be found in either the Undergraduate or Graduate Bulletin. If you have specific questions about programs, or if you are interested in sitting in on our classes, contact the department chair and/or the appropriate program coordinator to make arrangements.
- Dr. Lisa Poling became a Learning Partner for the Alternative Service Experience Program. Read more here.
- Dr. Leslie Bradbury gets published in The Association for Science Teacher Education. Read her article here.
- C&I has multiple Faculty Award recipients. See them here.
- Dr. Kathleen Lynch-Davis chosen as recipient of Watson College of Education Distinguished Alumni Award. See more here.
- Jeff Goodman named as Faculty of Distinction. See the story here.
- Dr. Elizabeth Bellows accepted to be a Faculty Fellow for the Warren Fellowship for Future Teachers [more]
- Drs. Leslie Bradbury, Beth Frye and Lisa Gross has an article published in the journal Science Activities [more]
- Dr. Damiana Gibbons has an article in the Journal on Images & Culture: "Rural Places Meet Media Literacy: Representing Truth and Self in Rural Social Space" [more]
- Dr. Holly Thornton gets published in Research in Middle Level Education, Volume 37, Number 3 [more]
- Dr. Jennifer McGee receives funding for research project [more]
- Dr. Allen Bryant initiates partnership with Cherokee Central Schools [more]
- Drs. Tracy Smith and Kenneth McEwin have just completed a video series based on their book, The Legacy of Middle School Leaders: In Their Own Words. The Association for Middle Level Education is featuring the 12 short videos on
their YouTube channel [more]
- Dr. Rachel Wilson published in the Journal of Research in Science Teaching. Click here to read her article [more]
- Dr. Jennifer McGee gets published in the December issue of the journal, Gender, Education, Music, and Society. You can read her article here. She also has
an article accepted in the Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment [more]